Istanbul is a vibrant, busy, buzzing city. This can be seen most of all on İstiklâl Caddesi (Independence Avenue), its three kilometre long main shopping street.
And what sights - İstiklâl Caddesi is full of amazing, wonderful sights, sounds and smells that make Istanbul a great city, such as:
- A man walking along with monkey on a leash.
- Ladies wearing full burqas, wearing headscarves slowly sauntering while other woman in bikini tops sashayed by.
- A man dressed as an Ottoman soldier, with nobody paying any notice
- Men walking down the street, holding hands, embracing, laughing, touching, all completely platonic.
- Men selling roasted chestnuts, with nutty smoke arising from each cart.
- Men selling mussels, with lemons strewn among the shells
- A tram clanging its way up and down the street; one time with a band blasting out funky rock music from an open air carriage.
- Busking men playing traditional Turkish instruments, the music from which mixed with the modern beats coming from he nightclubs on the upper floors of the buildings.